Saturday, September 29, 2007

Halo 3

We just finished the campaign on legendary today and...well...I'm not sure what to think. I enjoyed the campaign, although there are sections that I really have no desire to play through again, even though there are achievements associated with doing so.

In a lot of ways it felt like playing through the original Halo C.E., except not as original or fresh. I understand making references to the previous games in the dialog, but the missions were just like the first game. Get in and grab something. Oh shit, the place is gonna blow! Get in, turn that off. Oh shit, run like hell! Get in and kill so and so. Oh shit, the flood is on our asses! Get out! Oh, and these guys are on our side now. No wait, no they're not! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!

And is there any other way to blow something up than to make a ship reactor explode? Anybody ever hear of a bomb with a remote detonator?

I don't mean to hate on the game. It's a great game. I put it up as the second best in the series, with Halo 2 being on the bottom. I guess I have a more critical eye on it since it's THE game for the Xbox 360.

I'm also not a big fan of the interface. It's not very intuitive at all. Finding a certain menu item is like looking for Waldo half the time. I'm still not sure if you can play 4-player local co-op. The game says you can, but when we tried it it didn't let us.

The saved film feature is cool, until you realize that you can't take screenshots or videos while in game. You have to finish what you're doing, go into the theater, then watch your film. And if the really cool thing you did is at the end of an hour of footage, you are stuck "fast forwarding" to it. And it's not that fast. How about a feature that at least lets you put a marker where the cool shit is that you just did. I threw an awesome grenade into one of those floating sniper tower things, but I'll never be able to find it. I think I'll utilize the screenshot function more than the movie making.

I do love the way you can customize your character. And the achievements look pretty easy. Of course, we'll have to do another play through to find all the skulls and then again to play the meta game.

Meh.

No comments: