Monday, May 11, 2009

X-Men Origins Wolverine

We saw Wolverine yesterday, so I'm going to write up my little mini review. There are spoilers ahead, so be warned!

I went into the movie with very measured expectations of what to...well...expect. I had read a bunch of reviews, tweets, and spoilers, so I knew that this wasn't going to be X-Men 2. Therefore, I was honestly prepared for the worst, but got something better.

The plot wasn't terrible. I think it mostly made sense and held itself together pretty well. There was a reason for everyone's actions and they didnt' feel forced. I enjoyed the action a lot. It was worth the price of admission to see the entire helicopter sequence alone.

There were a few points that bugged me. First, the Blob. Is it not possible to translate a 2nd string villain to the screen with any success in these movies? X3 reduced the Juggernaut to a punchline, now Wolverine does the same thing to the Blob. He has an eating disorder? Really?!

The idea of adamantium bullets is pretty ridiculous as well. I do see why they chose that route since it is a bit more dramatic than somehow giving Logan false memory implants. You can tell that it was something that had to be written in to tie up some loose ends. It was silly but not a movie killer.

Overall, I think it was a good action movie. In regards to the X-Men movies, it comes in 3rd. It was much better than X3. It sucks that they didn't utilize Ryan Reynolds more as Deadpool. And for a comic nerd like me, even I had to look up who Agent Zero is. Not to mention Dominic Monaghan's character.

I hope the inevitible sequel will have Wolverine in Japan learning the ways of the samurai and falling in love with Mariko. Of course, we all know the how likely they are to stick to the source material.

No comments: