Saturday, December 01, 2007

Saturday

It's Saturday. I'm spending my time cleaning up the apartment. Since we are getting rid of our old entertainment center, we have a ton of pictures frames and misc other stuff that needs a home now. The new tv stand just doesn't have the room, plus I don't want to clutter it up too much.

I'm almost done with the easy tour on Guitar Hero 2. The Anthrax song Madhouse is the only song that's giving me trouble. And by trouble I mean fits of rage and screaming. And lots of "motherfucker!"

The big story in the gaming community is that a guy got fired from Gamespot.com for giving a game a bad review. Or giving it in a bad tone. Either way, he's gone and they are denying everything. I really like the destructoid.com review of Kane & Lynch, tho.

Then I noticed people canceling their Gamespot memberships and stuff. Calling for people to return or trade in the game. Personally, I'm all for sticking it to the man, and I don't think that this guy should have been fired for giving a game a bad review, but lets get to the real question. Why are you paying for a membership at Gamespot.com in the first place? Are there not enough free sites giving out reviews, videos, previews, and forums? I have memberships on more sites than I can count on both hands, all of which are free. And the great majority of these sites offer some type of reviews, forums, and any number of other services. Why are we, as gamers, paying a corporate entity for anything like this?

I also know that most of these community sites are run by individuals that pay for hosting and other services out of their own pocket. How about donate to them to help pay for all the free stuff we enjoy. Why give it to a big corporation? I say redirect that cash flow into PayPal donations. Help out your favorite community site or blog. Hint hint.

No comments: