Saturday, April 19, 2008

Circuit City Legendary Map Pack A-Go-Go

Last Tuesday, X3F broke the news that, if you pre-order Ninja Gaiden 2 from Circuit City, you get the new Legendary Map pack for Halo 3 for free. Now, I'm always up for getting something free, especially if it means screwing "the man". So, on Tuesday evening, Rhea and I headed up to our local Circuit City.

We got there and looked around a few minutes before we headed up to the registers to take care of business. We walked up to the faux hawked gay guy at the register and asked about the game. First he wanted to know how to spell Ninja. I spelled it. I also went ahead and spelled Gaiden. He couldn't find it, so Rhea and I looked at the screen to see he had spelled Nina Guyden. Ooooookay...

I corrected him and he finally found the pre-order. He told me to swipe my card, so I asked him about the map pack. He found on the site where it told about the free deal. Then he told me that it was only available online. It's at this point I decided to take myself up to the customer service desk for some real help. I don't trust guys with faux hawks. Especially when it comes to my games. And especially if you can't spell ninja. Everyone should know how to spell ninja.

The customer service chick told me the same thing. It's only available online. I was noticeably irritated and used phrases like "this is ridiculous" and "glad we drove all the way up here". We went home and I got online.

I started to do the pre-order, but it looked like the site was going to charge me full price for the game instead of the $5. I called their handy dandy 1-800 number and talked to a lady. It turns out that you don't get charged until the game ships. Sweet!

I did the pre-order and the wait began. Then, to my delight, the code for the map pack was delivered to my e-mail address as promised! My next step is to cancel the pre-order. I'm going to wait a couple weeks so as not to arouse their suspicions. I'll call and use some line like "I decided I wanted to get something else" or "my family was killed by ninjas so I'm going to go in a different direction".

No comments: