Monday, February 02, 2009

Gears of War 2: Really?!

I've been blasting my way though the Gears of War 2 campaign since I gave up on Dead Space. Gameplay wise, it's a great game. Really scratches that need to shoot stuff until it dies. Unfortunately, all the reports of the dialog and story being really cheesy are true. There are more groan inducing lines of dialog than in a season of Smallville and One Tree Hill combined.

At one point, the guy that drives that big rig named Bettie says something like "Let's light up Bettie's titties." Really?

Spoiler alert, by the way.

So, yesterday I get to the part where the giant worm eats the King Raven helicopter I'm in. And I'm inside the damn worm. This is by far the stupidest level of a game I've ever played. It's stupid because we're supposed to believe that somehow these guys survived. Not only that, but they can actually find the heart and kill the worm.

I think it's Dom that actually states "This looks like the sternum." Really?! How the fuck do you possibly know that?!

I'm glad to be passed this part, honestly. I knew it was coming because I've listened to enough podcasts and I don't generally avoid spoilers. I also knew it was going to be bad, but I had no idea.

I did get lulz when Carmine died, tho.

After all that, Alana and Kenneth helped me finish off Horde mode. Good times...

1 comment:

Jonathan Maher said...

At least the worm level was fun. It was stuff like that, when it felt like the team just said "screw it, were are making a game!" that I enjoyed the most. It felt like a next generation Contra.

I would have rather they just went balls out, with more crazy stuff. The attempts to be dramatic were just pathetic, so why fight it? Embrace the cheeseyness!