Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Conspiracy Theory

I've been having it out with the people over at Gamertag Radio today. For more info, go check out the forum where I am right and they are wrong.

I have a theory. One that involves Aaron Greenberg from Microsoft and Godfree from GTR. I see it going down like this.

AG: The Pac-Man championships are tomorrow and we're announcing a new Pac-Man game.
G: That's tight, yo. Big pimpin' FTW!
AG: This announcement isn't huge, but we're excited about it. The man who created the original mazes for Pac-Man is creating new ones. It's a historic event.
G: Yea, I feel you, dogg. GTR represent!
AG: Why don't you just put this out there as a major announcement. Don't give any details.
G: My peeps ain't gonna like dat, dogg.
AG: Well, you know, I can give this story to Joystiq...
G: Damn, dogg! You don't have to go there, dogg.
AG: Just say all you heard was a major announcement. Then, when we tell everyone the new Pac-Man is coming, they'll all be disapointed. lol!
G: Our peeps gonna be mad at us, dogg.
AG: There's no such thing as bad publicity. Remember that. Everyone will blame you at first, but you will set the record straight in your forums.
G: Alright, I'm down with it. It's a tight plan.
AG: Don't forget our deal. I give you exclusive tips and you tell the community how great we are.
G: I haven't forgot.
AG: Good. Now get out there and sell!
G: Yes sir, dogg!

Of course, this isn't verbatim, but just my theory on what happened. Once you get in bed with the Man, you're not getting out.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my 360 and I like Microsoft. But you have to admit that things worked out in their favor. GTR may be feeling a backlash, but that will subside (since I'm tired of fucking with it). Otherwise it's win/win because Microsoft got the word out about Pac-Man through GTR and GTR got a lot of hits to their site.

The whole crux of the argument is that community members shouldn't be on the take. When I say they are profiting from the situation, it could be with free games, exposure, or even a job. IMO, this is wrong. If you want to work for Microsoft, then go fill out an application. Simple as that. Don't think that because you have a site and a RSS feed you have a shot at a job.

People will accuse me of being jealous, but that's not the case. I'm not trying to get a job or get hits or anything like that. I'm just a subscriber to the Xbox Live service. I've met some awesome people because of my involvement in different communities and podcasts, but not once have I tried to profit from any of these relationships.

The long and short is that if you're a subscriber to the XBL service, don't just listen to one podcast. Listen to several and make you're own judgments. If you're just listening to GTR, you aren't getting the whole picture. Educate yourself.

The love of gaming should be what brought us to the community. Don't let anyone change that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

conspiracy my ass it looks to me like your jealousy of GTR has consumed you. Maybe if you hit the gym and put down the snack cakes you could do a successful site like GTR instead of whining like an overweight 5 year old. Good luck with being a failure tubby

Anonymous said...

Wowza

Anonymous said...

not to mention the little credibility you did have is gone. Just remember to not bite the hand that feeds you when you were barely getting fed in the first place.

avid x3ro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.