Friday, July 13, 2007

Achievement Indictment

I've been playing Shadowrun as an elf since I got the game. It's been over a month since I've been playing the game. I am taking into account the 2 weeks I didn't have my 360 because it was being repaired.

The problem is this. I'm trying to get some achievements in this game. Each character class has an achievement associated with it. 100 games as a whatever. I've been trying to get the elf achievement since that seemed to be the best class when I started. I have since realized that the elf is cool, but the troll and dwarf are better. I want to change, but I know that the next game I play as an elf is the one that will get me the achievement.

Basically, I feel that there should be some type of achievement tracker in this game. Actually, I think there should be a tracker in every game. It would not be difficult to do, and it would allow achievement whores like me to track their progress. Is there really a downside to something like this? I don't think so.

The other issue I have is with how the games are counted. I know a lot of games put a stipulation on how many people are in the game to make it count. Basically, if you come in once a game has started, it doesn't count towards the achievement. I found this on achieve360points.com. (Sorry DaKing240)

14. Elf Player: Play as an elf for one hundred games (10)
15. Dwarf Player: Play as a Dwarf for one hundred games (10)
16. Troll Player: Play as a troll for one hundred games (10)
17. Human Player: Play as a human for one hundred games (10)

(All self explanatory, just play, don't have to win don't have to lose. I am almost
positive you need to play full games though so joining games late doesn't count. These
will take you some time to get all four, but if you pick one race at the beginning and
stick to it until you get one, just keep on going. Or you can play a little with each
race and not get any of the achievements like me.)
Basically, if you join in the middle of a match, the whole thing doesn't count. Don't you think that prolongs these achievements? It's a stipulation that shouldn't be.

Now, I'm not complaining that my gamerscore is too low or that I'm not getting achievements that are owed to me, but I am complaining about the fact that I have no idea how many game's I've played as an elf.

I have the same issue with Gears of War. I don't want to have to play in the ranked matches with people I don't know. I understand that otherwise you can have people boosting their gamerscore, but big deal. We all know boosting happens. Just fix that problem, Epic, and I will be happy to do some major fragging in GoW.

No comments: