Saturday, July 28, 2007

Too Many Podcasts

I came to a realization today. Actually, I've been thinking about it for a little while, but there usually has to be something to come along to actually push me over the edge on something, then I get fired up. Anyway, I heard through the grapevine that Aeropause.com has started their own podcast. This in an of itself is not terrible, but it got me to thinking. How many podcasts is too many?

Now, if you go look up a niche topic like french fries or shoestring art, you won't find many shows. But, if you search gaming news or Xbox 360 news, you find well over a hundred shows on iTunes alone. That's not to mention everything you find on PodcastAlley or PodcastPickle. And the great majority talk about the same thing. The same topics, the same segments, the same games.

I have a feeling that we might see the bubble burst on the podcast thing soon. Not that they will all go away, but I think the independent shows will start to dry up and go away. Personally, I try to support my friends out there that are putting shows out there, but a lot of times I can't listen to them all. Especially when it's all the same news.

Currently, my favorite shows are GamersWithJobs, Distorted View, Nobody Likes Onions, Podtacular, Xbox360Fanboy, and This Week In Tech. Everything else is just extra at this point.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep...I never found podcasts to be very effective anyway..I don't have a bus/walk commute to listen to them, so have to kill an hour or so sitting at the computer to listen to them.

I would much rather be able to get the same info in a blog/website.

I hope more people start going back to the basics...

Vincent Lynch said...

I dont think theres to many podcasts because theres so many differnt tastes and everyone likes differnt things. I dont listen to any of those podcasts, i listen to other ones that fit my needs. I make my own podcast and even if people dont like it i like producing it. And podcasts arent as numerous as say blogs. Look even you have a blog and even if no one reads it you still enjoy writing it. And with blogs being free anyone can make one. Its the internet, everyone wants to express their opinons


No anonymous comments = fail

Rane said...

My point is that the subject of gaming and/or Xbox 360 news is becoming saturated with coverage. There is only so much news to be covered in any given week. It's just a matter of there being a demand for yet another show dedicated to the same topic.