Friday, March 28, 2008

A Question of Community

Warthog Stick 1
Today was a pretty interesting day. I had a very good discussion on Twitter about the gaming community. I think it was well received. I try to make good points without sounding like an idiot. Today was one day that I was successful.

The gist is this. DirtyDiva asked the question "Do you feel like you're well represented within large companies' walls?". Personally, I don't think that I am well represented inside Microsoft. I do believe that my habits, usage, and general stats are kept somewhere in a giant database. Is that a proper representation of me? Kinda, but not really.

As I'm sure anyone would attest, I'm a little more complicated than my gamer data would let on. I'm a complex human being with complex thoughts. Well, sometimes my thoughts aren't that complex, but still! :-p

I honestly believe that the community focus Microsoft has is purely for marketing. It's great for everyone that's involved, don't get me wrong. But at the end of the day, people like Major Nelson and Trixie aren't getting a paycheck because Microsoft loves us that much. They get a paycheck because somebody at Microsoft realized the power of word of mouth. They realized that a bunch of guys running a website can be a very valuable tool. And they are.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular. I'm merely stating that the perks you get as a community leader or MVP aren't simply due to MS loving you and wanting to be your BFF. It's a marketing scheme, pure and simple.

It certainly benefits those of us that are in the community. Who doesn't want free games? And honestly, I have no problem with it. Microsoft should be pouring money and resources into this community because we have a lot of influence on people. It's a good thing.

I just don't want people to be so naive as to think that Microsoft really wants to be your friend. They have another agenda, and that is to come out on top in the console war. If, for one second, you think that the community is any less of a pawn than HD-DVD or Xbox LIVE, then you need to wake up and smell the RROD.

We are just another chess piece to move around the board. How we take advantage of that fact will determine who really comes out on top.

No comments: