Sunday, July 20, 2008

Batman, Meet Dave

We caught The Dark Knight last night with Alana, Kenneth, her friends and my dad. It was a good movie, made even better/creepier by Heath Ledgers performance as The Joker. He really stole the show, and I wanted to see more scenes with him in the movie.

I'm not going to say that Dark Knight was the best move EVAR! It's easily up there, but I think the length hurts it a bit. I had heard that there wasn't really anything that could be cut out, but I disagree with that. I won't go into details here since I don't want to spoil anything. I just think it could have been tightened up a bit and kept to a solid 2 hours.

Ledger's performance was incredible. He really made you think that he was completely insane, and therein lies the brilliance of The Joker. He has a plan, but it's wrapped in so much insanity and chaos that no one has a chance at unraveling it. Except Batman, of course.

And by the way, why does Bale talk like that when he's Batman? You know, with the growl. I remember Keaton having a different voice for Batman, but it wasn't that pronounced and weird.

And since I love seeing a great superhero movie do well as much as I love seeing a crap movie tank, let's talk Meet Dave. I was reading up on the box office totals for this cinematic piece of shit, and by all accounts it's as big a flop as Pluto Nash. It cost anywhere from $65 to $100 million to make (I've seen both numbers online), and only made a little over $5 million its opening weekend. Damn, that makes me happy.

My main question is, who the hell went to go see it? Who arrived at the theater with money in hand and told the person behind the glass "One for Meet Dave"?

Seriously, we need to find out who these people are, or at least don't let them leave the theater once we have them. They should all be transported to some remote location in the desert and studied, then shot. I mean, first we need to isolate that gene that makes you want to see a movie like that, then eradicate it.

We also need to go ahead and stop Eddie Murphy from making any other movies. I honestly can't tell you of the last good movie he was in. Beverly Hills Cop maybe?

Really? Do we have to go back into the 80's to find a decent movie for this guy? And Shrek doesn't count because 1)all of them suck and 2)he's just reading a script and doing a voice.

And by the way, who's holding the purse strings on these movies? Give me $65 million and I'll greenlight something good. Something with action, guns, and boobs. Lots of boobs.

No comments: