Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Writing Vs. Blogging

I don't fancy myself as much of a writer. As much as I like typing up a bunch of paragraphs, I don't know that I could ever do anything more than blog. I like posting news up at Platform Nation, but that always feels more like regurgitating the same stuff found elsewhere. The thing to do is find something original. Break something open. See something new that somebody missed.

I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it sounds really good. Of course, doing something like that takes a lot of time and commitment, something I'm not too keen on devoting. Not that I don't want to, but it would take away from other things in my life that are important. And I kind of like having my wife around.

I'm not sure what the point of this is, other than the fact that I'm bored. It's just that I look at shit on the internet, and sometimes it just feels like I'm reading the same story over and over. Joystiq posts something that X3F posted that came from Kotaku that came from an interview done by somebody at PAX.

Oversaturation much?

I guess that's why I like podcasting so much. I'm never sure where we're going to go with our show. It's open and loose. Like a hooker having a half-price sale.

If I were to try to write anything, it would have to be comedy. The problem is, writing doesn't feel as spontaneous as just talking. Plus, you don't have anyone to bounce off of. You just have the reader, who probably won't get the subtleties of your fart joke anyway.

Bottom line is, I wish I could record a lot of my day to day conversations. Or possibly have my own reality show where people watch my every move. They could see me work, twitter, drive, play games, and maybe even interact with real people. I'm thinking we bring in the real people in season 2. Let the watchers fall in love with me first. And believe me, they will fall in love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Writing is a huge difference then blogging. Its so much more of a bitch, it really is. I even question why I write at times because it just eats up so much of my time.

For me, I guess, its knowing that most of my readers agree with me and knowing that developers and publishers are reading what I write as well. So I'm giving my readers and my community a voice.

and your right about the same news. its the same thing at everyone one of these sites, but its the way they give it to you, that's what matters and that's how you connect with others.