Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Voting With Your Wallet

Does this actually work? I've been thinking about this a lot lately, wondering if it's actually effective. It occurs to me that it's pretty much a boolean type of thing. Either you buy something (yes) or you don't (no). The problem with this begins when you realize that one "yes" answer outweighs one"no".

For example, if a game ships based on a movie. The game sells a million copies. That is enough to prove to the publisher that it was a worthwhile investment and do it again. Meanwhile, several million of us ignored the game altogether. The fact that it sold that many means they made money and will shovel more of the same crap onto shelves.

The question then becomes, why do you care? If a million people bought something, then that's their loss. They're spending their own money for crap and who am I to complain, right?

What bothers me the most is the message this kind of thing sends to the content makers. All of the movie studios, record labels, and game publishers know that they can push out crap and it will sell. Then, of course, they decide that making X amount of money on this content isn't good enough. So they up the price. And it still sells. And they up the price. And so on...

The long and short of it is this. We as consumers should hold these people responsible for making high quality entertainment. And we should let them know that we're not willing to pay more for something just because they want fatter wallets. I want a fatter wallet, too. I also don't want to ever see another movie as bad as X-Men 3 or Epic Movie.

And this doesn't even begin to cover my issues with some of the DLC news that's come out lately. I will get back to you on that after I decide what I'm going to do.

No comments: